Date: 1.28.2017 / Article Rating: 5 / Votes: 3371 #The joy luck club chapter 1

Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> The joy luck club chapter 1

Write my essay - the joy luck club chapter 1

Nov/Sat/2017 | Uncategorized

Pay For Essay Writing Service -
In The Joy Luck Club (Chapter 1 to 8): With…

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, order paper writing help 24/7 -

SparkNotes: The Joy Luck Club

book report example WRITING BOOK REPORTS. It's likely that, whatever your educational goals, you will eventually write a book report. Your instructor might call it a critique, or a summary/response paper, or a review. The two components these assignments have in common are summary and the joy luck chapter 1, evaluation. A More Perfect. Other TIP Sheets on related topics that might prove helpful in developing a book report, depending on the type of book and the specifics of your assignment, include the following: How to Write a Summary Writing About Non-Fiction Books Writing About Literature. Summary AND evaluation. The following example summarizes in two sentences the plot of Jurassic Park : Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park describes how millionaire tycoon John Hammond indulges his desire to the joy club chapter create an island amusement park full of living dinosaurs. In spite of elaborate precautions to make the camping experiences, park safe, his animals run wild, killing and maiming his employees, endangering the lives of the joy luck club chapter, his two visiting grandchildren, and finally escaping to mainland Costa Rica. On the other hand, a thesis statement for a book report reflects your evaluation of the hero honda, work; I really, really liked it is the joy luck club chapter 1, inadequate.

Students sometimes hesitate to make judgments about literature, because they are uncertain what standards apply. It's not so difficult to Contemporary Duncannon Log Church evaluate a book in terms of club, story elements: character, setting, problem/solution, even organization. (See TIP Sheet Writing About Literature for union, ideas on how to the joy club 1 handle these standard story elements.) Nevertheless, a good thesis statement should include your reflection on the ideas, purpose, and attitudes of the camping experiences, author as well. To develop an informed judgment about the work, start by asking yourself lots of questions (for more ideas, see Evaluation on the TIP Sheet Writing About Literature). Then choose your most promising area, the the joy luck chapter, one about which you have something clear to say and can easily find evidence from the book to illustrate. Contemporary Paper: Log Church. Develop this into a thesis statement. For example, here is what one thesis statement might look like for Jurassic Park (notice how this thesis statement differs from the simple summary above): In Jurassic Park , Crichton seems to warn us chillingly that, in bioengineering as in the joy club, chaos theory, the moment we most appear to be in Paper: Duncannon Log Church, control of events is the exact moment control is already irredeemably lost to us. To develop an informed judgment and a corresponding thesis statement about a book, brainstorm by answering questions such as the the joy club, following: For what purpose did the author write this, and Contemporary Uses Paper:, did he fulfill that purpose? What did the main character learn?

Does this lesson reflect reality as you know it? Were the characters complex and believable? What do they reveal of the luck chapter 1, author? of human nature? How well did the setting contribute to the mood? How did setting affect character and plot development? The invisible author. Usually the author does not figure prominently in the story unless the book is autobiographical. More often he is the invisible persona–invisible, yet not absent. The author leaves traces of Duncannon Log Church, himself throughout. Paradoxically, your understanding of the author depends on your deliberate. detachment from the story itself to luck club chapter discover those traces.

Imagine standing very, very close to a large painting–inches away. Your focus is on blobs of color, but you are unable to identify the object represented. When you move back a few steps and helmshore mill, alter your focus, the blobs take on a recognizable form. In the same way, you have to draw back from the story to the joy chapter discern the purpose, ideas , and attitudes of the author. No one goes to the trouble to write something without purpose. Uses Paper:. Sure, textbooks have purpose, but those who write fiction narratives have purpose, too. Even fantasy writers have purpose. A book report should include your evaluation of whether the author succeeded in luck 1, his purpose. The following writer has made a statement about the author's purpose: Crichton seems not so much to be warning us of the evils of scientific inquiry as begging us, in a very convincing way, to exercise collective moral restraint on helmshore mill, scientific research. This writer would then go on to use quotations, examples, and evidence from the the joy chapter, book to Paper: Duncannon Log Church show why she believes this is Crichton's purpose.

To identify and chapter 1, respond to the purpose of an marner, author, try asking questions like these: Was the author's purpose to inform or simply entertain me? Did I learn something? Was I entertained? Did I lose interest? If I lost interest, was this author, perhaps, writing to a different audience?

Is the author trying to club chapter 1 persuade me to think or act in a particular way? About what issue? What point of view would he or she have me adopt? Was I convinced? The author's ideas may be stated by the author himself in a foreword, or they may show up in the words of a narrator or a principal character. Silas. The character Ian Malcolm, for example, is a primary spokesman for Crichton's criticism of post-modern science. Malcolm's words, below, express one of the club, ideas Crichton wishes us to hero honda consider: I'll tell you the problem with engineers and scientists. 1. They are focused on experiences, whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something. On the other hand, a principal character may represent, rather than state, ideas. Hammond's visiting grandchildren, for example, might represent the oblivious, yet threatened, human populations of the mainland and the planet itself.

When ideas are implied rather than stated, they are called themes. To discover and evaluate ideas in a book, try asking questions like the the joy club chapter, following: What was the central problem in the book? Was it a personal, social, or moral problem? Does it relate to life as you know it? What ideas(s) about life and society does the author seem to hold? What did the principal character(s) learn? How did they change? What does this seem to marner girl say about people? About society?

About morality? Once you have identified what ideas an author is trying to examine, you must still determine what the author's attitude is the joy luck club chapter 1, toward those ideas. An author's attitudes are revealed in Awakening, part by the tone, or overall mood, of the work. In writing, as in conversation, tone is not so much stated as implied. In reading we depend solely on the emotional overtones of the words to the joy luck chapter infer the attitudes of the author.

For example, suppose you have determined that Crichton wishes to explore the idea of how private industry exploits scientific research. You must then determine, as well, what Crichton's attitude is toward this situation. Does he think this is a positive development, or a negative one, or a little of both? Does he think it is inevitable, or preventable? One way to figure out Crichton's attitude about Awakening this is to identify the tone he uses to the joy club chapter tell the story. Duncannon. We describe the tone of a book with adjectives, and more than one if necessary: straightforward, complex, ironic, creepy, pathetic, bitter, comic, tragic. For example, here is the joy 1, a statement using three different adjectives to describe Crichton's attitude toward one of the central problems in Jurassic Park : Crichton strikes an union, ominous tone in Jurassic Park.

Even though this is a cautionary tale, the author nevertheless is optimistic that the mainstream scientific community, represented in this story by luck club 1, Alan Grant, can learn restraint and respect for nature. (When identifying the tone of a book, make the effort to distinguish an hero honda, individual. character's attitude from the author's overall attitude-they may differ.) To begin talking about chapter 1 tone, ask yourself questions such as these: Is there a particular setting or scene that stands out in my mind? What was the mood of helmshore mill, that scene? Is this mood indicative of the entire book? Is the author an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? How does he show it? Does a principal character experience one persistent state of mind or emotion? What would I call it? Is it indicative of the work overall? Did the mood of the work help or hinder my understanding of the author's ideas?

Butte College | 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville CA 95965 | General Information (530) 895-2511.

The Joy Luck Club Part 1, Chapter 1 Summary -…

The joy luck club chapter 1

Order Essays Online Cheap -
The Joy Luck Club Part 1, Chapter 1: The Joy Luck…

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, buy essay papers online -

The Joy Luck Club Part 1 Chapter 1 Summary - Course…

My Trip New York City Essays and Research Papers. Emily Baker English 1101 11:00 A.M. 2 October 2012 Experiencing New York as a Marching Band Member The . city lights, attractive sights, and bustling lifestyles were what I had only the joy club seen on television and dreamed of at night. I had only heard stories of Contemporary Paper: Duncannon, this place, always imagining what it would be like to live in such a colossal city . This was a gift; my chance to do exactly what my mother did her senior year of high school. The people and places I saw, the the joy 1 events and experiences I got to. English-language films , Family , Manhattan 1264 Words | 3 Pages.

The London is my favourite place The excitment as you look around you and see crowds of people from all over the world. It makes you reallly . think about how one place can attract so many people; sky scraper buildings, glamourous clothes shops filling the high streer, (A girls paradise) kids in the park and cafes galore. Many people come here in search of one thing. celebrities come here to shoot a movie which is pretty cool walking about exploring the hero honda exciting things that surround you, and. Arc de Triomphe , London , London Eye 1036 Words | 3 Pages. Narrative Essay of a trip to NEW YORK. night before with anticipation, I hadn't gone on a trip in two years and I was a little nervous. Luck Chapter 1? It would be the 1st time I would fly since . September 11, 2001 and Contemporary Uses Log Church, the whole thing made me uneasy.

I double-checked what I packed, shook off the nervousness and began to get ready for club chapter, bed. On The? Falling asleep was the furthest thing from my mind but slowly as I thought of things to do I drifted into luck club chapter 1 a deep sleep. The very next morning I went to work and because my morning was packed with massages time passed with. A Little Bit , A Little Bit Longer , Flight 1302 Words | 4 Pages. 2013 New York City and All That It Is New York City is essay experiences, one of the most . world renowned cities in the world, it is the most populated city in America, and also the center of America. It is the center of America because of its vast history and its connection to the rest of the country in the joy luck chapter 1 everything they do.

New York City may not be the official capital of The United States of America, but it sure could be because of its overwhelming presence in the United States as well as the a more whole world. New York. Immigration to the United States , Manhattan , New York 2581 Words | 9 Pages. “Summer Solstice, New York City ,” by luck club 1 Sharon Olds and “Death of marner girl, a Window Washer,” by X.J. Kennedy. “Summer Solstice, . New York City ” is club 1, about an attempted suicide incident. “Death of a Window Washer” describes a scene of hero honda, a window washer who was killed by accident. With different descriptions and details regarding the luck chapter 1 denouement of the essay camping experiences main characters and club chapter 1, the reactions of the other people, the two poets portrayed the dark and light side of human nature. Hero Honda? “Summer Solstice, New York City ” uses juxtaposition.

Global city , Hardcore punk , John F. Kennedy International Airport 1102 Words | 3 Pages. Road Trip from New York to Florida. Road Trip to Florida Introduction: Have you ever had an club, idea to about camping make a road trip to Florida? If yes, what would you choose: . just drive straight or have some stops? I wanted to show you one way of realizing that trip , which I’m planning to luck club do soon. Helmshore Mill? Thesis Statement: Route from New York to Florida with amazing stops on the way, such as Cape May, Chincoteague Island, Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge, Virginia Beach, Charleston, Savannah and the joy club 1, our final point – Jacksonville.

Discussion Section: . American Revolutionary War , Beach , Chesapeake Bay 490 Words | 3 Pages. Personal Writing: Living in silas girl Both Texas and New York City. Personal Writing: Living In Both Texas and New York City Where a person was born or raised often plays an . important role in club 1 their lives. There are often comparisons between a urban civilization to rural civilization. Humans adopt to different environments that would be the most suitable for their style of living. Society as a whole didn't tell us where civilization should take place. Awakening? Choosing the right place for the joy luck chapter 1, a living depends on girl the matters of self preference and comfort. American Broadcasting Company , Amtrak , Chicago 1225 Words | 3 Pages. One Place I Would Like to the joy luck chapter 1 Visit on a Class Trip New York City.

a class trip New York City is the one place I would very much like to a more perfect visit on the joy luck chapter 1 our next class . trip . New York City is very large and has lots of exciting and Essay on The Awakening, educational activities, such as going to the theater, museums, landmarks and shopping. New York City is the joy luck club chapter, located in the state of Essay, New York , only luck chapter 30 minutes to Newark Airport in New Jersey. It makes a perfect place for a class trip . The tourist season runs the Paper: Log Church entire year, making visiting time flexible. New York City is luck chapter, usually. Manhattan , New Jersey , New York 1397 Words | 4 Pages. A History of Central Park in New York City. for impressive buildings and valuable real estate. Why Between 1821 and 1855, New York City nearly . quadrupled in a more perfect population. As the city expanded, people were drawn to the few open spaces, mainly cemeteries, to get away from the noise and chaotic life in the city . Before long, however, New York City's need for a great public park was voiced by the poet and editor of the then-Evening Post (now the New York Post), William Cullen Bryant, and by the joy luck club the first American landscape architect, Andrew Jackson. Andrew Jackson Downing , Calvert Vaux , Central Park 583 Words | 4 Pages.

Mr. Roper “The Art of the City ” It was six o'clock in the morning, I lay there eyes wide open like a toddler on Christmas morning. . Excitement flowing through my veins. I could hear the bustling movement of hero honda, morning rush-hour, I could no longer wait for the others. I open the blinds to an inspiring view of the one of the most powerful buildings in the city , The Empire State building. Finally, the beautiful city of New York lay at the joy luck club 1, my fingertips.

I had waited my whole childhood for the chance. Aesthetics , Art , City 1006 Words | 3 Pages. Why New York is the City That Never Sleeps. ?Alex Bauer Informative Presentation Outline Topic: New York City General Speech Goal: To Inform Specific . Speech Goal: I want my audience to recognize what makes New York City the city that never sleeps. Hero Honda? Introduction I. Attention Getter: I want all of you today to imagine yourselves walking down a street, but this is the joy chapter 1, no ordinary street. You feel like you’re a mouse in a maze, the skyscrapers are keeping you trapped within the Uses Paper: Duncannon city , thousands of people walking in the joy luck club chapter 1 different directions. Madison Square Garden , Manhattan , New York 1404 Words | 5 Pages.

were vulnerable to the Nazi attacks and essay about experiences, that no human should have to go through that pain and suffering no matter what condition of living. “We are alive. We . The Joy 1? are human, with good and bad in us. That's all we know for sure. Hero Honda? We can't create a new species or a new world. That's been done. Now we have to live within those boundaries. Luck Club? What are our choices? We can despair and curse, and change nothing. We can choose evil like our enemies have done and create a world based on hate. Or we can try to make.

Elie Wiesel , Jews , Nazi Germany 1828 Words | 5 Pages. New York City Immigrant Experience. ?Title: New York City’s Immigrant Experience in The Late 19th Century During the year 1492, the history of Essay on The Awakening, American Jewish . commenced which marked the luck club 1 eviction of Jews from helmshore mill Spain and thereby, landing in America. This marked the chapter starting of Jewish communal society in North America. The colonial Jews never crossed the mark of being 1/10th of a percent of American population, but they managed to establish the patterns of Jewish community life which persisted for on The, many generations. This marked the the joy luck club 1 beginning. 19th century , American Jews , Immigration 1006 Words | 7 Pages. John Etefia Tomek Research Paper The New York City Draft Riots that took place July 13-16 of 1863 during the . Civil War are considered the hero honda largest civil insurrection in the American History. The riots started off as a protest against the Conscription Act passed in March of 1863, which made all single men age 20-45 and married men up to 35 were subject to club chapter 1 the draft lottery. The part of the Conscription Act that really caused an essay experiences, uproar was not only the fact that it forced men to go and fight in. Abraham Lincoln , American Civil War , Confederate States of the joy 1, America 1318 Words | 4 Pages.

Sensory Detail Description of Awakening, New York City. “Next stop will be New York Penn station everyone, New York Penn station.” The muffled sounds of the the joy luck chapter 1 . conductor’s voice echoed through out the train. Everyone seemed to rise in unison, as if it were rehearsed, to essay about camping experiences prepare for our arrival. The train comes to the joy luck a screeching halt, and the hissing of the hero honda doors opening reveals Penn station. As I embark from the train on to the the joy club pavement, I am suddenly bombarded by essay a mob of people pushing in one direction, forcing me up the narrow escalator. I arrive at the. Amtrak , Grand Central Terminal , Madison Square Garden 979 Words | 3 Pages. alone?

S/P Today I will inform my audience about the decisions homeless people have to club 1 make. C/I Many homeless people opt to stay on the . streets rather than in a shelter. V/S After today you will understand why homeless people who live on silas marner the street. Transition Our homeless society is now growing very quickly and uncontrollably. Body I. The Joy Luck Chapter 1? New York City began this year with the largest number of homeless people crammed into shelters since the silas marner city began keeping count 20 years ago.

Homelessness , Homelessness in the United States 722 Words | 3 Pages. ?INTRODUCTION: Instilled from only an idea make my trip became the the joy club 1 pioneer of the entire online travel industry in India. It has . revolutionised over hero honda years creating customer satisfaction through its cutting edge technology. It aimed to the joy luck offer a range of best-value products and services along with dedicated round-the-clock customer support. Essay About? It offered customers the convenience of online booking of tickets at rock bottom prices.

Make My Trip proactively began to diversify its product offering, adding. American Express , Customer service , Hotel 1116 Words | 4 Pages. My Love-Hate Relationship with New York. New York City is a fascinating place with too much charm for its own good. It is chapter, evident in both E.B. White’s Here . is New York and Goodbye to All That, by Joan Didion that it is easy to fall in love with New York . However, it isn’t too hard to fall out of love with this city , either. Hero Honda? White mentions three types of the joy chapter 1, New Yorkers: natives, commuters and non-natives, and how they contribute to the quality of this city . Didion tells us the story of a more union, her arrival to New York from the West, and discusses her.

E. 1? B. White , James Thurber , Love 1052 Words | 3 Pages. New York City Transit Analysis Determinants of impasse MTA thought that they could strong arm the . union as they had in the past. In 1999 and silas, 2002 MTA threatened the the joy luck 1 union with fines and jail time if they did not negotiate. Therefore, union leaders accepted terms and contracts that they normally would not have if they had other options. But members of the union were tired of promises by management of better working conditions and wage increases that did not cover the cost of inflation. 2005 New York City transit strike , Long Island Rail Road , New York 1160 Words | 4 Pages. September 2014 Narrative Essay - My trip to Italy I could feel the anticipation rising within myself knowing that . my trip to Italy was just a few weeks away. I had waited my whole life for this one moment. It was near the month of April, and helmshore mill, that meant spring break was just right around the corner.

To give a little bit of the joy club 1, background, I come from an a more perfect union, Italian family. I have yet to see the beautiful terrain where my ancestors had originated, but I do know that my family stems from Naples, Terre, and. Ancient Rome , Colosseum , Italy 1482 Words | 4 Pages. * Essay When you associate anything with New York City it is usually the extraordinary buildings that pierce the . sky or the congested sidewalks with people desperate to shop in the famous stores in which celebrities dwell. Even with my short visit there I found myself lost within the Big Apple. The voices of the never-ending attractions call out and the joy luck, envelop you in their awe. The streets are filled with an atmosphere that is like a young child on a shopping spree in silas girl a candy store.

Although your feet. Hudson County, New Jersey , Hudson River , New Jersey 860 Words | 3 Pages. 02. The Joy Club Chapter 1? BLACK MOZART 03. HIGHER (R. Leslie, R. Ibanga) Produced by helmshore mill !llmind for Little Trouble Big China Ryan Leslie for Les Is More LLC.

Piano: Ryan Leslie. . Additional Vocals: David Lee Bennet. Recorded by Ryan Leslie at Wall Street Wonderland, New York , NY. Mixed by !llmind and Ryan Leslie at nHow Studios, Berlin, Germany. FEATURING COURTNEY BENNETT (R.Leslie, C. McCormick) Produced by the joy chapter Cardiak for Heartfelt Productions Ryan Leslie for on The, Les Is More LLC. Piano: Ryan Leslie. Recorded by Hristo. New Jersey , New York , New York City 1031 Words | 4 Pages. The summer before my junior year in high school, my family and I took a trip to the joy luck club chapter a completely new . Essay Awakening? world. Being from the joy luck club a small town, I had never really been exposed to the elements of a large city such as New York City . Helmshore Mill? My trip there was like discovering an entirely new way of life that I had only heard stories of previously. For about the tenth time the morning of the club chapter 1 flight, I checked my room to make sure I didn’t leave anything essential behind. My stomach was doing flips as we arrived at the.

Automobile , City , Empire State Building 665 Words | 2 Pages. New York City. Compare/contrast essay. NEW YORK CITY There is a huge difference between a city in the Mid-West, such as Columbus in a more union the . state of Ohio, and east coast landmark, such as New York City . Each city has its stereotype, something everyone can say. For instance, New York equals skyscrapers and lots of people. Whereas when you say Columbus, people tend to think of average size city , rather quiet for it?s size. Lets take a closer look.

Majority of people have a very set feeling about New York : they love it or they hate it. Some. Big Apple , Broadway theatre , Gang 730 Words | 3 Pages. I am lucky enough to say that my dad took me to Amsterdam. I was seventeen at the time and a junior in high school. The Joy? To a seventeen year-old, . Awakening? Amsterdam is known as the party capital of the world, or the Las Vegas a Europe (minus the the joy club chapter 1 billionaire casinos).

In other words, Amsterdam is known as the place to a more union go if you want to “party, party, party,” with the minimal fear of consequences. Amsterdam is a city on water in the Netherlands. There, the the joy chapter consumption of marijuana is legal as long as the person. Cannabis , Hookah , Hotel 1421 Words | 4 Pages. New York City Where the Dreams Come True. countless cities . Big cities , small cities , rich cities , poor cities , cultural . cities , funny cities , far cities and friendly cities . But there is only one city in the world, able to make your dreams come true. This is New York the most populous city in the United States and the center of the helmshore mill New York Metropolitan Area. New York exerts a significant impact upon the joy club global commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and Uses Log Church, entertainment.

With a population of 8,175,133, New York. Brooklyn , Long Island , Manhattan 1347 Words | 4 Pages. Rent Control and Rent Stabilization in New York City. insightful discussion of the controversy surrounding rent control. The Joy Luck Chapter? 11. On The Awakening? Evaluate the pros and cons of the joy luck chapter 1, rent control and helmshore mill, rent stabilization in NYC. Rent . control is the government imposition of club 1, price ceilings on silas marner rent for apartments in certain areas of a city . The Joy 1? The goal is usually to protect the rights of the poor.

Thus, in essay experiences a rent controlled or rent stabilized building, the amount of rent will not increase as quickly as inflation. While the moral side of rent control may have some appeal, in the long run. Better , Landlord , Price ceiling 1263 Words | 4 Pages. Rising Sea Levels in New York City. ?DNY: Landscapes in New York 11/12/14 Term Paper – Rising Sea Levels and PlaNYC Ban Ki-moon once said, “Climate change does not . respect border; it does not respect who you are - rich and poor, small and big. The Joy Chapter 1? Therefore, this is what we call 'global challenges,' which require global solidarity.” This quote shows how we as a world must work together to try and slow down climate change because it is essay about camping experiences, something that is affecting us all, and eventually will distress us all in a very drastic manner, due. Climate change , Greenhouse gas , London 2770 Words | 9 Pages.

Bishop Ben Hardy English 111 February 5, 2013 Senior Trip When my senior year came, I knew I had a trip of a . Club? lifetime to Essay Awakening look forward to. A trip that gave me a chance to experience the big city life and get away from the mountains for a week. I had looked forward to the joy club 1 this trip my whole high school career and could not believe it came and went so quickly; I could not believe that my Senior class went to marner girl New York and club, Washington. My senior trip was an hero honda, experience that I had never dreamed of. This. English-language films , Memorial , Monument 1086 Words | 3 Pages. My favorite trip I've ever been on was definitely my first trip to New . Luck Club 1? York City . Through the many stores and massive crowds of people I learned some important life lessons, other than how much I enjoy elbow room. The Big Apple was more that just a city to a more me, it was an experience, in fact, the whole trip was an luck 1, experience! Whether it was the airplane ride to Manhattan, the city itself, or the on The Yankee game we went too, I had an club, amazing time. I never will forget that early morning where drove.

Baseball , English-language films , Major League Baseball 667 Words | 2 Pages. New York City: Geography, History and hero honda, Sights. Write a five-page research paper New York City 1. Geography 1.1 Climate 1.2 Districts 2. History 3. . Transportation 4. Sights 4.1 Statue of Liberty 4.2 Times Square 4.3 Broadway 4.4 Empire State building 4.5 Central Park 4.6 Brooklyn Bridge 4.7 Rockefeller Center 5. Sports 1. Geography New York City is one of the most famous cities in the world. “The Big Apple” or “the City that never sleeps” is located in the joy chapter the New York the on The state. New York City is located on the East coast of. Brooklyn , Empire State Building , Manhattan 1672 Words | 5 Pages. Order and Disorder in New York City in the 1800s. In 1825 there were just over 100,000 people living in New York City . Life for New Yorkers had been a . steady, regular flow of every day life but the period between 1825 and the joy club chapter 1, 1860 was a time of truly unprecedented growth but a new era of essay, modern lifestyle was about to luck club chapter 1 emerge and take New York’s citizens by essay surprise.

What used to be a very traditional way of life started becoming more modernised and by the end of the 1960s, the luck club chapter 1 New York population had reason to that of one million people. There were. City , Grid plan , New York 861 Words | 3 Pages. New York City and a more perfect union, Gentrification Ways. 2, 2013 Abstract To examine or explore the the joy chapter 1 effects of gentrification, when a group of people of essay experiences, a particular Race is unable to . maintain their resources; they are inevitably removed from their environment.

There will become a new set of a particular race that will be able to maintain and chapter, perhaps create a different environment with their cultures and religious beliefs. Helmshore Mill? INTRODUCTION The purpose of this research paper is to explore and the joy club chapter, examine the. Apollo Theater , Duke Ellington , Gentrification 2127 Words | 7 Pages. New York City Draft Riots of 1863. New York City Draft Riots of 1863 In September of 1862, President Lincoln . announced the silas Emancipation Proclamation. This was to take effect on January 1, 1863; this document was what freed the slaves in states that were still in rebellion with the Union. At the time the Emancipation Proclamation was not what New Yorkers wanted to luck 1 see embraced. In March of 1863, a form of a stricter draft law was formed. The law required all male citizens between twenty and thirty-five.

African American , Black people , Conscription in the United States 1348 Words | 4 Pages. Causes of the New York City Draft Riots of 1863. The New York City draft riots of 1863 were the Uses cause of a particular feeling among blacks that were recently freed . by the Emancipation Proclamation. Luck 1? Since, at the time, blacks were not considered citizens the helmshore mill lottery that was the the joy club draft itself did not include those that were not citizens. Btu since the blacks were free but not citizens then they were the spark of much hatred that was aroused by certain factors, particularly from the a more perfect union Irish and German immigrants. The press, fueled part of this hatred. American Civil War , Black people , New York City 2033 Words | 6 Pages.

An Artistic Story of New York City in 1932- New York Mural, Davis, Stuart. November 17, 2012 Essay II, Word Count: 2268 An Artistic Story of New York in 1932 The purpose of luck club, this essay is to discuss . the ways Stuart Davis uses the elements of art and Essay on The, principals of design in his painting, New York Mural, 1932. In the beginning of this essay, there is the joy luck club chapter, a description of Davis’ biological information and what was happening in New York during the years preceding the silas painting. It will discuss three elements of art to include: line, shape and color. The principals of the joy luck club, design. Cubism , Empire State Building , History of painting 2263 Words | 6 Pages. My Unforgetable Trip to California. My Unforgettable Trip to silas California Mirna El Hadi American Intercontinental University . English 106 Dr. Rebecca Coleman January 12, 2013 “ My Unforgettable Trip to California” This past April, my friend and I took a five-day trip to California, where we visited San Francisco and the Napa Valley wine country.

We flew out on a Friday morning and stayed in the joy club the Golden State until Wednesday afternoon. On The Awakening? During our visit, we saw quite. American Viticultural Area , California wine , Chardonnay 852 Words | 3 Pages. Should I Visit Gotham City or New York City? Should I Visit Gotham City or New York City ? Having grown up reading comics books I am well . aware of the chapter bum rap comics get.

But something has happened this past decade or so. Camping? Comics have become cool! With the multiple comic book franchises making the leap to the silver screen, several TV shows on chapter 1 network television, and an endless supply of plastic products out camping experiences there. Now more than ever comic book nerds can hold their heads up high. But with mass appeal also comes confusion. DC Comics and. Comic book , DC Comics , Green Lantern 1826 Words | 5 Pages. Narrative Essay My Most Memorable Trip In Hong Kong, 1.25 million chickens were killed due to the joy luck chapter the outbreak of the dreaded bird . flu, Princess Diana died, and gas was only $1.22 per gallon. I was newly divorced and working pizza delivery for about nine months when the call came in for a delivery to Eastern Ave. in Manchester, NH. Essay Experiences? It was much different than the inner city that I grew up in. Buildings were riddled with bullets, the the joy club streets were filled with thugs and the part of town that I grew.

Ferry , Manhattan , Mind 1518 Words | 4 Pages. The New York Times The New York Times is a well established newspaper in our nation today that is . known for their elite writers and editors. The popular newspaper company has been publishing newspapers out of New York City since 1851 and was first called the New York Daily Times but later changed to just The New York Times in 1857. The New York Times is considered the last major newspaper to put colored images inside their papers. Their philosophy was to helmshore mill stay true to chapter 1 black and helmshore mill, white and put “All. Broadsheet , Democratic Party , New York City 838 Words | 3 Pages. Sin City vs.

The Big Apple Abstract The purpose of this paper is to the joy luck chapter 1 compare and contrast the two cities of about experiences, Las Vegas, . Nevada and New York , New York . Both cities offer a vast array of luck, entertainment, luxurious accommodations, and world-class dining. Perfect? There are many things that are close to being the same in both cities , a visitor is able to gamble in either place, a visitor is able to see a beautiful skyline, and take in the sights of the joy 1, a world famous city . Log Church? There are marked differences in the. Broadway theatre , Chicago , Hotel 1942 Words | 5 Pages. Providing Free Wi-Fi to New York City. Providing Free Wi-Fi to New York City Defining the Solution: New York . City is a city with a large population of people, lots of skyscraping buildings, numerous businesses, and a lack of available free WI-FI service. Today we will be working on developing a way to provide free WI-FI to all of New York City . First we have to the joy club chapter 1 look at the reasons, resources needed, and problems which will be on the road to providing such service to New York City . To define the helmshore mill problem a little in the joy luck depth, we need to. Bluetooth , Critical path method , Gantt chart 2451 Words | 6 Pages. Descrpition Essay on New York City. Macy Climer The city that never sleeps When you think of New York City , you most likely imagine . the extraordinary buildings that fly in hero honda the sky or the crowded sidewalks with hundreds of people shopping on chapter every corner.

Even with my short visit I found myself lost in the big apple. Uses Paper: Log Church? The streets are filled with the atmosphere that is like teenagers shopping with their parent’s credit card. Although by the end of the day your feet are so swollen from all the walking, you find yourself wanting to keep. American films , Big Apple , Black-and-white films 827 Words | 2 Pages. New York , New York Sirens and the joy, busy city sidewalks; yellow taxis and the subway; delis . and hot dog stands on every corner; Central Park covered in a blanket of Contemporary Uses Paper:, snow; Broadway and all of the joy club, its glamour; the bright lights of Times Square; Bloomingdales and the designers on 5th Avenue; ice skating and essay about camping, the Rockettes at Rockefeller Center; the Empire State Building and its amazing view at night; the smell of the luck club chapter 1 meat Packing District; browsing the Chelsea Market and walking along the Pier-sixty next to the.

Broadway , Broadway theatre , Empire State Building 930 Words | 2 Pages. Salem Witch Trials and New York City. did the religious fervor of New England Puritans decline after 1660? How did the Salem witch episode reflect the tensions and changes in . seventeenth-century New England life and thought? The Puritans were a group of people who grew discontent in the Church of England that had a profound influence on the social, political, ethical, and theological ideas of hero honda, England and America. Puritans immigrated to the New World, where they sought to found a holy commonwealth in New England. Although the Puritans. American Revolutionary War , Benjamin Franklin , England 1908 Words | 5 Pages. America. It was first settled in 1625, known as New Amsterdam by the Dutch. It is the joy luck chapter, known as the city that never sleeps. Uses Log Church? . New York City is probably one of the most interesting cities in luck club chapter the world.

It has something to offer to everybody. From the moment you land in hero honda New York City there is a realization that you have landed in a different world. New York City is home to virtually every nationality on earth. With each culture represented in New York City by individuals alone the many opportunities to visit. Hudson River , Manhattan , New Jersey 623 Words | 2 Pages.

Why Are New York City Subway Trains and Buses so Unsanitary? time so unsanitary that it’s unbearable. The Joy Club 1? Many times when we are on Awakening the train we find ourselves switching the club chapter cart we are in, and hero honda, with all hope, searching . for a better one. The Joy Club Chapter? As it turns out, we are always stuck with the same old dirt. This is a New York City phenomenon. Perfect? Why should we travel to work surrounded by piles of filth daily? I initially encountered this problem when I first started going to high school. This was the first time I had started taking the train and the joy club chapter, buses everyday.

Amtrak , Homelessness , Mind 1313 Words | 3 Pages. Trip to India Peering out of the international terminal window, I gaped at the colossal Boeing-747 plane standing in front of me, with not . just one floor but two floors of Contemporary Duncannon, seats. All buzzed up in excitement, I bombarded my father with questions about my first real trip to India. I say my first real trip because the luck 1 first time I had been there was when I was an infant, probably being passed around and essay about camping, adored by countless relatives. When are we leaving? When will we get there? Where are we staying. Economy of India , India , Middle class 1816 Words | 4 Pages. from this point of view that this paper discusses the importance of New York as a fashion city . A fashion . capital is a city that has major influence on the global fashion trends as well as the core of the fashion industry, where activities such as designing, production and retailing of fashion items, events like fashion week and chapter, fashion awards as well as other fashion-related activities gain important economic output. Contemporary Paper: Duncannon Log Church? Such cities normally have a wide range of financial, business, cultural, and the joy club chapter 1, entertainment.

City , Fashion , Fashion design 2646 Words | 7 Pages. The summer before my junior year in high school, my family and essay experiences, I took a trip to luck club chapter a completely new . world. Being from a small town, I had never really been exposed to hero honda the elements of a large city such as New York City . My trip there was like discovering an entirely new way of life that I had only heard stories of previously. For about the tenth time the morning of the flight, I checked my room to make sure I didn’t leave anything essential behind. My stomach was doing flips as we arrived at the. Automobile , City , Empire State Building 664 Words | 2 Pages. Standing only at the joy luck chapter 1, five feet high in New York City , the hero honda beautiful New York . City in the summer time rises with an amazing sunrise. Club Chapter 1? The rays of the sun mix with three different shades of bright and about camping experiences, dark colors like red, orange, and yellow. The dark blue sky is still filled with lingering clouds that flee from the sun as it makes its assent. The skyline of New York City casts a gorgeous reflection onto the East River. New York is one of the best known cities in United States with a total area is.

Brooklyn , Manhattan , New York 865 Words | 2 Pages. Food System ?Nowadays, a life in a huge megalopolis like New York can be very advantageous for the joy, a person in things like an . Contemporary Paper: Log Church? easy access to business, culture, politics, and entertainment. However, live in the big city can has its own negative sides. Scott Stringer, in the report “Food NYC: A Blueprint for Sustainable Food System” points out serious nutrition and pollution issues in the city . Indeed, there are a lot of the joy club chapter, problems that New Yorkers have to a more perfect face with, but a lack of “affordable and healthy”. Agriculture , Carbon dioxide , Food security 909 Words | 3 Pages.

settled in what is luck, now called Manhattan. Following that, in 1524, French explorers discovered New York State and allowed the . Dutch colonies to retrieve the helmshore mill area in 1609. In 1664 England purchased the island of Manhattan and transformed it into a major trading port for the 13 original colonies. New York City then became an area of great population and diversity. The Joy Club Chapter? In the early 18th century, New York City was still owned by the British, but immigrants from the Netherlands, England, France, and Germany. American Revolutionary War , Brooklyn , Long Island 2449 Words | 7 Pages. Since my childhood I dreamed about traveling around the world. Last year in summer my dream finally came true. I took a . trip to Europe.

I traveled to Switzerland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France and Italy. Helmshore Mill? I went to club chapter many interesting places including the Louvre and helmshore mill, Eiffel tower in France, the castle of Koln in Germany, the Anne Frank house and the Amsterdam in Netherlands, Mountains in Switzerland, Madame Tussauds in Austria, Manneken Pis. Amsterdam , Anne Frank , Eiffel Tower 868 Words | 3 Pages. THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY A Case Study Analysis John J. Luck Chapter 1? Head WestCom Group Consulting Inc. School of Communication . Girl? Telecommunications Management 4480 Western Michigan University 1903 West Michigan Avenue Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008 November 8, 2012 2012 John J Head Table of Contents I. Historical Overview 1 Early steps 2 Diversification 3 Challenges, changes 4 II.

Organizational structure 5 Table 1 5 III. Business Operations 6 Table 2 7 The flagship 8 IV. Financial performance 9 Table 3 9 V. Adolph Ochs , Broadsheet , New York City 5915 Words | 9 Pages. How vast is the New York City’s mass transit system? XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Instructor: XXXXXXXXX Course: XXXXXXXXXX . Luck Club Chapter? Date: XXXXXXXX New York City , one of the world’s most vibrant cities , has one of the biggest public transportation systems of North America. Everyday hundreds of thousands people enter this city as workers or as tourists. New York City has excellent connectivity to all of marner, its neighboring states: New Jersey, Connecticut, and.

Amtrak , Commuter rail , Manhattan 2111 Words | 8 Pages. London? We can say that it is the joy luck 1, one of the largest cities and helmshore mill, ports in the world, that it is one of the most important world`s business. . Industrial and club 1, cultural centres and that it is the capital of Great Britain. Helmshore Mill? But this answers don`t give a full idea of London. London is the oldest city in the country. The Joy Luck Club? It is helmshore mill, 2500 years old.

The London underground is the longest in chapter 1 Europe. The population of London is over 7 million people. As London is a very old city most of its streets are not very wide and hero honda, most. City of London , Empire State Building , London 1106 Words | 3 Pages. Dore. 1996. About Rothko. New York : Da Capo Press. Baal-Teshuva, Jacob. 2003. Rothko.

Germany: Taschen. The Joy Club? Breslin, James . E.B. 1993. Mark Rothko: A Biography. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. Kimball, Roger. 2004. The Rape of the Masters: How Political Correctness Sabotages Art. 55-58.

New York : Encounter Books. Kuh, Katharine. On The Awakening? 2006. My Love Affair with Modern Art: Behind the Scenes with a Legendary Curator. Edited by Avis Berman, 143-166. New York : Arcade Publishing, Inc. . 1911 , 1918 , 1920 743 Words | 5 Pages.

An Englishman in New York . By Sting I don't drink coffee____________ my dear I like my toast . Luck Chapter 1? done on the side And you can hear it in_______________ I'm an Englishman in New York See me walking down Fifth Avenue A walking cane ________________ I take it everywhere I walk I'm an Uses Paper: Log Church, Englishman in New York I'm an________, I'm a legal _______ I'm an Englishman in New York I'm an _______, I'm a legal _________ I'm an luck 1, Englishman in New York If manners maketh man as someone said Then. United Kingdom , Walking 752 Words | 4 Pages. ?Assignment title: To what extent did the New York School poets bring a fresh sense of life to poetry? Close analysis of the . Silas Girl? poems written by luck club 1 Frank O’Hara, John Ashbery and Kenneth Koch, has lead me to believe that they bring a fresh sense of life in Essay on The Awakening the poetry they write with the help of many factors ranging from the way they structure their poems, which is in club chapter 1 the free form. To contextual and social references through the arts and the city . Effectively, almost embodying life in Contemporary Paper: Duncannon Log Church their poems, I.

Literature , Meter , Modernism 2477 Words | 8 Pages.

Write My Research Paper -
In The Joy Luck Club (Chapter 1 to 8): With…

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, order your own writing help now -

Notes on Chapter 1, Jing-Mei Woo, The Joy Luck Club…

SAT / ACT Prep Online Guides and Tips. One of the best ways to prepare for the DBQ (the “document-based question” on the AP European History, AP US History, and AP World History exams) is to look over sample questions and the joy club chapter 1 example essays. This will help you to get a sense of what makes a good (and what makes a bad) DBQ response. That said, not all DBQ essay examples are created equal. I’ll briefly cover what makes a good DBQ example, then provide a list of example essays by course.

Lastly, I’ve provided some tips as how to best use sample essays in your own preparation process. Without a doubt, the best sample resources come from the Paper: Duncannon Log Church, College Board. The Joy Luck Club Chapter? This is because they are the ones who design and administer the silas girl, AP exams. This means that: Any DBQ essay example that they provide will include a real DBQ prompt. All samples are real student responses from previous years, so you know that they were written under the same conditions you will be working under when you write your DBQ. Club 1? In other words, they're authentic! They not only have scores, they have explanations of helmshore mill, each essay's score according to the terms of the rubric.

Each prompt includes several sample essays with a variety of luck chapter, scores. However, there are some examples outside those available from the helmshore mill, College Board that may be worth looking at, particularly if they highlight how a particular essay could be improved. But in general, a superior example will: Include the prompt and documents. It will be much easier for you to chapter 1 see how the information from the documents is marner girl, integrated into the essay if you can actually look at the documents. Have a score. Seems simple, but you'd be surprised how many DBQ examples out there in the uncharted internet don't have one.

Without a real, official score, it's hard to gauge how trustworthy a sample actually is. With that in mind, I have below compiled lists by exam of high-quality example DBQs. Don't spend all your study time sharpening your pencil. Every DBQ Example Essay You Could Ever Need, by Exam. Here are your example essays! We'll start with AP US History, then move to AP European History, and finally wrap up with AP World History. AP US History: Official College Board Examples. Because of the recent test redesign, the club chapter 1, College Board has only posted sample responses from 2016 and 2015.

This means there are only two official College Board set of sample essays that use the current rubric. Look here for the free-response questions from 2015 and the ones from 2016 with no analysis (so you can look at the question separately from the helmshore mill, scoring guidelines). When you're ready for the sample responses, here are the DBQ samples from the joy 1, 2015 and helmshore mill the samples from luck, 2016. If you want to hero honda see additional sample sets, you can also look at the joy luck chapter, older College Board US History DBQ example response sets , all the experiences, way back to 2003. Club Chapter 1? To look at these questions, click “Free-Response Questions” for a given year. For the corresponding DBQ examples and scoring guidelines, click “Sample Responses Q1.” Note that these use the old rubric (which is integrated into the Scoring Guidelines for a given free-response section). General comments about the helmshore mill, quality of the essay, outside information, and the joy luck club chapter 1 document analysis still apply, but the score is on a nine-point scale instead of the new seven-point scale, and some of the silas, particulars will be different. Older DBQs had up to 12 documents, while the new format will have six-seven documents.

If you do look at older DBQ examples, I recommend using the club, new rubric to “re-grade” the essays in the sample according to the new seven-scale score. I'll also give more advice on how to use all of these samples in helmshore mill your prep later on. Mr. Bald Eagle is an AP US History DBQ Grader in his spare time. AP European History: Official College Board Examples. Unfortunately, sample resources for luck the AP Euro DBQ are a little sparse than for the other essays, because this past year (2016) was the first year the test was administered in the new format. This means that there is only one set of official samples graded with the current seven-point rubric. The rest of the Contemporary Uses Duncannon, existing available samples were graded in the old, nine-point format instead of the seven-point format implemented this past year. In the old format there were six “core” points and then three additional points possible.

The old rubric is the joy club chapter 1, integrated with the sample responses for each question, but I’ll highlight some key differences between the hero honda, old and new formats: In the old format, you are given a brief “historical background” section before the documents. There are more documents—up to twelve. The new format will have 6-7. There is an emphasis on chapter, “grouping” the documents that is silas girl, not present in the new rubric. There is the joy luck club 1, also an marner girl, explicit emphasis on correctly interpreting the documents that is chapter, not found in the new rubric. The essential components of the DBQ are still the same between the two formats, although you should definitely look at the new rubric if you look at any of the old AP European History samples.

You may actually find it useful to silas marner girl look at the old essays and score them according to the new rubric. Samples by year: You can get samples in chapter the old format all the helmshore mill, way back to 2003 from the 1, College Board . (Click “Free-Response Questions” for the questions and essay about “Sample Responses Q1” for the samples.) If you want to check out some additional DBQ sample responses that were graded by the College Board with the new rubric, look at the 2015 AP US History samples and the 2016 AP US history samples . The content will of course be different, but the the joy luck club chapter, structure and scoring are the same as they will be for the AP Euro 2016 test. AP European History: Unofficial Samples. Because of the on The, rubric revision, other European History-specific samples are also in the joy club chapter 1 the old format.

This means there’s not much to be gained by looking outside the College Board’s extensive archives. However, the New York State Regents exam also has a DBQ on hero honda, it. The format is not identical and it is scored out of 5 under a different rubric, but I do like this European-History themed example from Regents Prep because it has highlighted sections that show where the documents are used versus where outside information is referenced. The Joy Luck Club? This will give you a good visual of how you might integrate outside information with the analysis of your documents. Consider how you might integrate this castle into the DBQ that is your life. AP World History: Official College Board Examples. The World History AP exam has just been transitioned to a new format to helmshore mill more resemble AP US History and AP European History for the 2017 test. This means that all currently available samples were graded in the old, nine-point format instead of the club chapter, seven-point format to be implemented this year. In the old format there were seven “core” points and then two additional points possible. The old rubric is integrated with the girl, sample responses for each question, but I’ll highlight some key differences between the the joy luck chapter, old and new formats:

There are more documents—up to ten. The new format will have 6-7. There is an emphasis on “grouping” the documents on the old rubric that is not present in the new rubric. There is also an explicit emphasis on correctly interpreting the documents that is not found in the new rubric. In the old rubric, you need to identify one additional document that would aid in your analysis. On The? The new rubric does not have this requirement. The essential components of the DBQ are still the same between the two formats, although you should definitely look at the new rubric if you look at club 1, any of the old AP World History samples. Silas? You may actually find it useful to the joy luck 1 look at the old essays and score them according to the new rubric. For whatever reason the questions and the samples with scoring notes are completely separate documents for World History, so you’ll need to click separate links to hero honda get the question and the joy club chapter 1 documents and helmshore mill then the responses. If you want to take a look at some DBQs that have been graded with the new rubric, you could check out the 2015 and 2016 samples from AP US History and the 2016 samples from 1, AP European History.

The historical content is different, but this will give you an idea of how the new rubric is implemented. Don't worry, the old format isn't as old as this guy right here. How Should I Use DBQ Examples to Uses Log Church Prepare? So, now that you have all of these examples, what should you do with them? I'll go over some tips as to how you can use example DBQs in your own studying, including when to the joy luck club 1 start using them and how many you should plan to review. College Board sample essay sets are a great way to test how well you understand the rubric . Silas? This is the joy luck, why I recommend that you grade a sample set early on hero honda, in your study process—maybe even before you've written a practice DBQ. Then, when you compare the scores you gave to luck chapter the scores and scoring notes for the samples, you'll have a good idea of what parts of the rubric you don't really understand . If there are points that you are consistently awarding differently than the graders, you’ll know those are skills to work on. Keep giving points for the thesis and then finding out the sample didn't get those points?

You'll know that you need to work on your thesis skills. Not giving points for historical context and Contemporary Uses Paper: Duncannon then finding out the AP Grader gave full credit? You need to work on recognizing what constitutes historical context according to the AP. You can check out my tips on building specific rubric-based skills in my article on the joy luck club chapter 1, how to write a DBQ. Once you've worked on helmshore mill, some of those rubric skills that you are weaker on, like evaluating a good thesis or identifying document groups, grade another sample set. This way you can see how your ability to luck club 1 grade the essays like an AP grader improves over time! Obviously, grading sample exams is a much more difficult proposition when you are looking at examples in an old format (e.g. AP European History or AP World History samples). The old scores as awarded by the College Board will be helpful in establishing a ballpark—obviously a 9 is still going to be a good essay under the Awakening, 7-point scale—but there may be some modest differences in grades between the two scales. The Joy Luck? (Maybe that perfect 9 is now a 6 out of 7 due to rubric changes.) For practice grading with old samples, you might want to pull out hero honda, two copies of the new rubric, recruit a trusted study buddy or academic advisor (or even two study buddies!), and each re-grade the samples.

Then, you can discuss any major differences in the grades you awarded. Having multiple sets of eyes will help you see if the scores you are giving are reasonable, since you won’t have an official seven-point College Board score for comparison. How Many Example DBQs Should I Be Using? The answer to this question depends on your study plans! If it's six months before the exam and you plan on transforming yourself into a hard diamond of DBQ excellence, you might complete some practice grading on a sample set every few weeks to the joy chapter a month to check in on your progress towards thinking like an Essay on The, AP grader. 1? In this case you would probably use six to on The Awakening nine College Board sample sets. If, on the other hand, the exam is in a month and you are just trying to get in club chapter 1 some skill-polishing, you might do a sample set every week to 10 days. It makes sense to check in on silas marner, your skills more often when you have less time to the joy chapter 1 study, because you want to be extra-sure that you are focusing your time on the skills that need the most work. So for a short time frame, expect to use somewhere in the range of three to four range College Board sample sets. Either way, you should be integrating your sample essay grading with skills practice, and Contemporary Uses Paper: Duncannon Log Church doing some practice DBQ writing of your own . Towards the end of your study time you could even integrate DBQ writing practice with sample grading.

Read and complete a timed prompt, then grade the sample set for club 1 that prompt, including yours! The other essays will help give you a sense of silas girl, what score your essay might have gotten that year and any areas you may have overlooked. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to using sample sets, but in general they are a useful tool for making sure you have a good idea what the DBQ graders will be looking for when you write your DBQ. Hey, where can we find a good DBQ around here? Example DBQ essays are a valuable resource in your arsenal of luck, study strategies for essay camping the AP History exams. Grading samples carefully will help you get a sense of your own blind spots so you know what skills to focus on in your own prep. That said, sample essays are most useful when integrated with your own targeted skills preparation. Grading a hundred sample essays won't help you if you aren't practicing your skills; you will just keep making the same mistakes over and over luck club chapter 1 again. And make sure you aren't using sample essays to avoid actually writing practice DBQs--you'll want to do at least a couple even if you only have a month to practice.

There you have it, folks. With this list of DBQ examples and tips on how to use them, you are all prepared to integrate samples into your study strategy! Still not sure what a DBQ is? Check out my explanation of the about, DBQ. Want tips on how to really dig in and study? I have a complete how-to guide on preparing and the joy chapter writing the DBQ (coming soon). If you're still studying for hero honda AP World History, check out our Best AP World History Study Guide or get more practice tests from our complete list. Want more material for AP US History?

Look into this article on the best notes to use for studying from one of the joy chapter 1, our experts. Contemporary Log Church? Also check out her review of the best AP US History textbooks! Want to improve your SAT score by 160 points or your ACT score by 4 points? We've written a guide for each test about the luck, top 5 strategies you must be using to have a shot at marner girl, improving your score. Download it for free now: Have friends who also need help with test prep?

Share this article! Ellen has extensive education mentorship experience and is deeply committed to helping students succeed in all areas of life. The Joy Luck Club Chapter? She received a BA from Harvard in union Folklore and Mythology and the joy club chapter is currently pursuing graduate studies at Columbia University. You should definitely follow us on social media. A More? You'll get updates on the joy club 1, our latest articles right on hero honda, your feed. Follow us on club chapter 1, all 3 of our social networks: Have any questions about this article or other topics?

Ask below and we'll reply! Series: How to Get 800 on Uses Paper: Log Church, Each SAT Section: Series: How to Get to 600 on club, Each SAT Section: Series: How to Get 36 on Each ACT Section: Our hand-selected experts help you in a variety of silas marner, other topics! Looking for Graduate School Test Prep?

Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: Get the club 1, latest articles and test prep tips! © PrepScholar 2013-2015. All rights reserved. SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Entrance Examination Board TM . The College Entrance Examination.

Board TM does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this site.

Write My Paper For Me -

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, write my paper -

The Joy Luck Club Part 1, Chapter 1 Summary -…

Adolescent Addiction and STD/HIV essay. Adolescence is considered to be a unique period in life cycle, which represents various challenges and opportunities to the individuals. In fact, it is a time of constant search and experimentation, which increasingly includes risky sex and the joy club chapter, drug use. Today, young people are largely disoriented: parents and teachers assert, for example, that one should abstain from early sexual activities, smoking or alcohol consumption, but television, movies and magazines propagandize a disreputable lifestyle full of unsafe sexual practices, smoking, and alcohol consumption. Therefore, adolescence is understood as one of the most difficult periods of human development.

Despite its relative brevity, it largely determines the entire life of the individual. Sure, the formation of character and other personal basics occur in hero honda, this period of life cycle. These circumstances make adolescents particularly vulnerable and malleable to the negative influences of environment. In addition, it is necessary to take into account an adolescent’s tendency to be free from parental guardianship and control that often leads to the denial of spiritual values ??and standards of living of the older generation. Dramatically, young people aged less than 25 years are more heavily affected by STD/HIV-AIDS. Most sexually transmitted infections occur more frequently in adolescents than in adults. Parents and teachers often do not know what, how and when to talk to adolescents. The talks about sexuality and remedies are tabooed in society, particularly with regard to young people. In this case, young people, not having access to the joy luck club chapter 1 accurate information, rely on marner rumors and stereotypes learned from peers and the joy luck club chapter 1, the media. In such a case, young people need adequate support and reliable information to help them protect themselves.

Key words: adolescence, STD/HIV-AIDS, risky sex, drug use. Background on HIV/AIDS. HIV/AIDS and other STDs are one of the most important and tragic issues facing humanity at the end of silas marner girl, XX century. The Joy Chapter 1? Today, HIV/AIDS is “recognized as a global emergency demanding the attention on the international health agenda and one of the most important public health issues” (Wasti, Simkhada, Randall, van Teijlingen, 2009, p. 62). In fact, STDs and HIV infection have spread to all the sectors of the population, including happy families. Hence, it is a quite relevant problem that affects all aspects of our society, and thus, needs much attention to deal with.

The first cases of infection were observed in Africa in 1959. In 1981, a new syndrome was first identified among homosexual men in the United States of America. Since 1987, the spread of a new infectious disease has reached epidemic proportions. Nowadays, the disease is registered in 152 countries around the world (UNAIDS WHO, 2003). The highest prevalence of reported infections can be found in all African countries. In fact, HIV prevalence among young people (10–19 years) is 2.1 million adolescents, who live with HIV in 2012 (Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS [UNAIDS], 2013). Generally speaking, AIDS is a chronic condition caused by the human immunodeficiency virus, abbreviated as HIV. There is no doubt that AIDS is Essay on The a complex scientific problem.

However, the fight against the joy luck 1 HIV/AIDS and other STDs is largely complicated by the lack of effective therapeutic drugs, and because of the inability to be vaccinated. That is why, health education programs, full and hero honda, objective information about the urgency of the problem and the joy luck club, effective ways to prevent infections are crucial in the fight against the AIDS epidemic. Sure, HIV/AIDS and other STDs are difficult to on The control due to luck the following significant issues: 1) lack of effective treatment; 2) lack of resources for primary prevention (vaccination); 3) difficulties in contacts with the population most severely affected by HIV/AIDS. How HIV is Transmitted. The main routes of HIV transmission include as follows: A. Unsafe anal, vaginal, or oral sex (i.e. sex without a condom).

Currently, the hero honda, lion’s share of cases of HIV infection falls on unprotected sex. In order to protect themselves from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, it is important to abstain from sexual intercourse or even it happens make sure to use a quality condom. B. Through blood products. The vast majority of HIV infections are among people who use or have used drugs intravenously. Luck? Furthermore, HIV can be transmitted when using non-sterile, untreated medical instruments or during blood transfusions. C. Girl? From mother to child. Child transmission is possible: during pregnancy (when HIV penetrates through the placenta to the fetus) during childbirth and breast feeding. Now let us talk about the factors that contribute to the spread of HIV infection: 1) the growing number of children and adolescents, who have dropped out of the sphere of social control; 2) the the joy chapter, proliferation of different forms of deviant behavior among children, adolescents and young people:increase in the number of injecting drug users; increase in alcohol abuse among minors; increase in juvenile delinquency; involvement of youth and minors in commercial sex.

3) reducing educational potential of families; 4) preventive work is not up to teenagers dropped out of the area of social control; 5) the imperfection of social monitoring (allowing to assess the effectiveness of preventive measures to track changes in the behavior of #8220;at risk#8221; groups, and to identify new areas of risk) as well as medical control over the representatives of #8220;at risk#8221; groups; 6) the lack of legal protection and perfect, psychosocial assistance to drug addicts and the joy club chapter 1, their families during the rehabilitation period; 7) low effectiveness of drug treatment, the high cost of removing the psychological dependence that makes it unaffordable for most addicts; 8) relative effectiveness of law enforcement agencies to combat drug trafficking; 9) low coordination of prevention activities by different agencies and organizations; 10) poor sexual health knowledge; 11) limited condom use since parents do not talk to their children about sexual matters (Wasti, Simkhada, Randall, van Teijlingen, 2009). HIV Signs and Symptoms. Now let us focus our specific attention on the fundamental criteria for recognition of HIV infection. The recognition of HIV infection, especially in helmshore mill, the early stages, is very difficult. The doctor must first of all be alert to 1 this infection, mindful of perfect union, its inexorable spread in our society. The diagnostic program for HIV infection should include three main fragments.

Anamnesis – information about the joy club chapter 1, a person’s belonging to risk groups, sexual contact with persons from these groups, especially with the large number of Awakening, partners. In addition, it is important to consider the indications of the the joy luck, subject for hero honda a long stay abroad, especially in the joy luck club chapter 1, endemic regions. Analysis of clinical symptoms. Multifaceted, abundant and silas girl, diverse clinical manifestations of HIV infection have the the joy luck chapter, common features: relentless flow, increasing severity, combination of a variety of pathological conditions, resistance to helmshore mill therapy, etc. The physician must especially pay attention to generalized lymphadenopathy, weight loss, persistent diarrhea, severe pneumonia, progressive damage to the central nervous system and, of course, Kaposi’s sarcoma.

Laboratory tests. The Joy? The diagnosis of Essay, HIV infection should always be confirmed by the laboratory. Thus, HIV signs and symptoms include: 1) enlarged liver or spleen; 2) fever; 3) diarrhea; 4) chills; 5) headache; 6) muscle aches; 7) sore throat; 8) rash; 9) night sweats; 10) neurologic symptoms; 11) ulcers in the mouth; 12) nausea and vomiting; 13) thrush; and the joy club chapter, 14) swollen lymph nodes (“Signs and Symptoms,” n.d.). However, it is possible to remember that the above-mentioned symptoms and helmshore mill, signs usually disappear in a week to a month and the joy luck 1, can be easily mistaken for perfect any other virus infections. HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment. There is no doubt that successful fight against club 1 HIV / AIDS largely depends on hero honda the targeted prevention efforts of different government and non-governmental organizations and efficient attempts to deal with the problem that include political, societal, and treatment approaches. Since the recognition of HIV, many government and non-governmental organizations took all the the joy luck club 1, possible to measures to deal with the problem. HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention took place in different areas, including education programs, public information, strategies to minimize the risks of being affected with HIV, and more. In fact, HIV / AIDS treatment pursues a comprehensive goal: to reduce the amount of virus in the body, to keep the replication (reproduction) of the virus, to backup or restore the camping, immune system and to prevent or treat opportunistic infections that occur due to the joy chapter immune deficiency. As for the treatment options for dealing with the problem, it is helmshore mill important to introduce free voluntary HIV testing, qualified counseling for infected people to raise their awareness about the disease and safe sex behavior, appropriate and adequate antiretroviral therapies, training sessions, specialized diagnostic and treatment centers to improve the social and material conditions of life for all.

Thus, HIV / AIDS treatment is currently being conducted in the joy club 1, three areas: Etiotropic therapy aimed at eliminating or suppressing a retrovirus. Pathogenetic therapy aimed at restoring the silas girl, immune system. Symptomatic therapy aimed at the treatment of major clinical manifestations of AIDS. The Joy Luck Club Chapter 1? Standard antiretroviral therapy that is considered to be today’s most efficient and effective way to treat HIV infection. It blocks the HIV virus in the patients’ blood with antiretroviral drugs, which does not allow the virus to multiply further. Nowadays, medicine does not have the means that would completely cure a person infected with HIV. However, various medicine products that can delay disease progression are designed and manufactured by different organizations. WHO reports about the evidence-based programs for dealing with the problem, arguing that as of the end of 2012, 9.7 million individuals, including children and adolescents, had access to antiretroviral therapy (ART) in different countries worldwide.

In fact, WHO provides various countries with treatment options, evidence-based programs, ongoing guidance and support in delivering standard antiretroviral therapy within a public health approach (World Health Organization [WHO], 2013). In addition to this, WHO along with UNAIDS launched an evidence-based prevention program known as the Treatment 2.0 strategy. This program is aimed at encouraging adults and adolescents to silas marner adopt appropriate behaviors that decrease their risk of the joy 1, HIV infection. Also, the program is designed to assist HIV-positive individuals in reducing their risk of transmitting HIV. In fact, the Treatment 2.0 strategy promotes drastic simplification of standard antiretroviral therapy (ART) and helmshore mill, full integration with treatment and prevention in order to ensure Universal Access (WHO, 2013). Here are some preventive measures to cope with the HIV / AIDS issue. One of the luck club chapter 1, most important ways to prevent HIV / AIDS is to have sex with only one partner, do not have contact with prostitutes, casual acquaintances, drug addicts who use intravenous needles, etc.

Moreover, it is essential to use condoms to protect against HIV. Make sure to utilize only your own hypodermic needles, toothbrushes, and razors. Insist on using only sterile disposable instruments during surgeries (including dental ones), acupuncture, tattooing or body piercing. In addition, the most important policy actions include: 1. Ensuring promotion, protection and respect of human rights and taking measures to eliminate discrimination and combat stigma. 2. Cooperative work of all sectors of Essay on The, society, including governments, non-governmental organizations, religious organizations, education sectors, private sectors, trade unions, and the media. 3. Involvement of individuals living with HIV in the implementation and evaluation of the joy luck club, preventive strategies that address the distinct prevention needs. 4. Girl? Taking into account cultural norms and beliefs, recognizing the key role they can play in supporting prevention efforts and their potential impact on the spread of HIV.

5. Wide dissemination of the joy luck club, knowledge of Essay on The Awakening, how HIV infection is luck club transmitted and how to prevent it. 6. Promoting the links between HIV prevention and protection of sexual and reproductive health. 7. Promoting programs to meet the HIV prevention needs of silas, key groups and populations affected by HIV. 8. Mobilizing and strengthening financial, human and institutional capacities in club chapter, all sectors, particularly in health and education. 9. Ensuring adequate investment in areas of research, development and promotion of new prevention technologies. 10. Ensuring “safer sex behavior, condom promotion, identifying and treating STIs, harm reduction, voluntary counselling and testing services, sexual health and HIV/AIDS to youth, preventing mother to child transmission” (Wasti, Simkhada, Randall, van Teijlingen, 2009, p. 63).

Thus, taking the above-mentioned information into consideration, it is possible to draw a conclusion that HIV/AIDS and silas marner girl, other STDs are truly one of the most important and tragic issues facing humanity at the end of XX century. Anyone at any age, regardless of gender, place of residence, religion and social status can become infected with HIV. However, the fact is that young people are most at club chapter risk of girl, HIV infection. This is due to the joy the fact that adolescence is viewed as one of the most difficult periods of human development. Today, young people are largely disoriented: the a more, media, movies and magazines propagandize a disreputable lifestyle full of unsafe sexual practices, smoking, and alcohol consumption.

As a result, not having access to accurate information, they begin to rely on rumors and stereotypes learned from peers and the joy luck club chapter 1, TVs. In this connection, young people need adequate support and help to helmshore mill protect themselves from being infected. Sure, HIV/AIDS is an chapter important issue, which requires much attention to deal with. It is critical to take all the possible measures to cope with the Uses Duncannon Log Church, problem at the national and international levels. The Joy Luck Chapter 1? Our research presents a solution to the HIV issue, provides the information on HIV transmission routes, HIV symptoms and signs and marner girl, HIV/AIDS treatment and preventive measures to deal with the issue.

Undoubtedly, only the knowledge about the joy club, HIV transmission and prevention is able to protect each of us from hero honda, being affected by this viral infection.

Order Essay and Get It on Time -
Notes on Chapter 1, Jing-Mei Woo, The Joy Luck Club…

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, buy essay online help and buy professionals essays -

Carl Rogers and Person Centered Counseling Essay. Carl Rogers, (1902-1987), was an American psychologist who developed person-centered therapy. This type of humanistic counseling deals with the ways in the joy chapter 1 which people perceive themselves consciously rather than having a counselor try to interpret unconscious thoughts or ideas. There are many different components and a more tools used in luck person-centered counseling, including active listening, genuineness, paraphrasing, and more. The real point is helmshore mill that the the joy luck club chapter 1, client already has the hero honda, answers to the problems and the job of the counselor is to listen without making any judgments, without giving advice, and the joy chapter 1 simply help the client feel accepted and understand their own feelings. He believed that “the client knows what hurts, what directions to Duncannon, go, what problems are crucial, what experiences have been buried” (Rogers, 1961, p. 11-12).

He helped people in taking responsibility for luck themselves and their lives. He believed that the experience of being understood and valued, gives one the freedom to grow. Experiences! Rogerian theory is the joy club grounded in the study of persons, leading to its strong applied value in many areas of life. Carl Rogers (1902 –1987) was an influential American psychologist and among the founders of the Humanistic approach to psychology. Rogers relied on personal experience as well as scientific inquiry to guide his methodology, much of which has foreshadowed the essay about, late-twentieth-century practice of psychotherapy. Rogers is luck club chapter widely considered to be one of the founding fathers of psychotherapy research and helmshore mill was honored for his pioneering research with the Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions by the American Psychological Association in the joy 1 1956. The Person-centered approach, his own unique approach to understanding personality and human relationships, found wide application in hero honda various domains such as psychotherapy and counseling (Client-centered therapy), education (Student-centered learning), organizations, and other group settings.

In an empirical study by Haggbloom et al. (2002) using six criteria such as citations and recognition, “Rogers was found to the joy luck club chapter 1, be the sixth most eminent psychologist of the girl, 20th Century and among clinicians, second only to Sigmund Freud.” His lifetime of research and experiential work focused on demonstrating the psychological conditions for allowing open communication and empowering individuals to achieve their full potential. He pioneered the move away from traditional psychoanalysis, and chapter developed client-centered psychotherapy, which recognizes that “each client has within him or herself the vast resources for self-understanding, for altering his or her self-concept, attitudes, and self-directed behavior—and that these resources can be tapped by providing a definable climate of facilitative attitudes” (Rogers, 1951). Carl Rogers’s last decade was devoted to applying his theories in areas of national social conflict, and he traveled worldwide to accomplish this. In Belfast, Ireland, he brought together influential Protestants and Catholics; in South Africa, blacks and whites, in the United States, consumers and helmshore mill providers in the health field. His last trip, at age 85, was to the Soviet Union, where he lectured and luck 1 facilitated intensive experiential workshops fostering communication and creativity.

He was astonished at the numbers of Russians who knew of his work. Recognition of helmshore mill, his work has come through dozens of honorary awards and degrees bestowed on the joy luck club chapter 1 him from around the world, among them the American Psychology Association’s Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award the first year it was given. A few years later he also received the American Psychology Association’s Distinguished Professional Contribution Award. About Experiences! On January 28, 1987, Carl Rogers was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Congressman Jim Bates. Carl Rogers is best known for the joy 1 his humanistic orientation. Our text explains that “from Adler, Rogers learned that lengthy case histories are cold, mechanical, and unnecessary; that a therapist need not spend time probing the Essay Awakening, past of a patient; [and that] therapist learn more by determining how the patient relates to the here and now” (Hergenhahn, and luck club chapter Olson, 2007). Through the years Rogers believed that the most important resource everyone has is their actualizing tendencies. Rogers’ person-centered theory emphasizes the concept of “self-actualization.” According to the mythos and logos website, (n.d.), this concept implies that: There is an internal, biological force to develop one’s capacities and talents to the fullest.

The individual’s central motivation is to learn and to grow. Contemporary! Growth occurs when individuals confront problems, struggle to master then, and through that struggle develop new aspects of their skills, capacities, views about life. Life, therefore, is an endless process of creatively moving forward, even if only in small ways. Rogers’ fundamental assumption that human beings, as well as all living beings, are driven to grow and to strive for the joy club chapter 1 optimal health, and this require resiliency in the face of on The Awakening, adversity. For Rogers, “self-actualization” is a natural process, yet it requires the nurturance of a caregiver. Chapter 1! This is hero honda a contradiction in Rogers’ theory, which may or may not be obvious.

If “self-actualization” is the joy club 1 merely a natural process, then why must it depend on a more union a caregiver for it to occur? In defense of luck chapter, Rogers, this paradox at Essay, least shows that, despite his individualistic bias, he understood deep down that people need people, that we are radically dependent on others for our existence, and that so-called “individuation-separation” (Rogers, 1951) involves a more differentiated and mature relationship with others rather than a lack of the joy 1, interdependence with others. In any case, Rogers felt that “unconditional positive regard is necessary for self-actualization” (Rogers, 1951). That is, “human growth requires the experience of being valued for oneself regardless of the degree to which specific behaviors are approved or disapproved. On the other hand, “self-actualization is a more thwarted by conditional positive regard — when acceptance is dependent on the joy club chapter the positive or negative evaluation of a person’s actions” (Mythos and Contemporary Log Church Logos website, n.d.). “Conditional positive regard,” Rogers felt, leads to “conditions of worth,” which, in turn, can lead to alienation from true feelings and, thus, to anxiety and club threat, which blocks self-actualization. About Camping! Roger’s theory led him to practice a non-directive psychotherapy in which the client sat face-to-face with him rather than lying on the couch.

In the larger scheme of things, I feel this was a radical move by Rogers. Most importantly, it sends a message to the client that they are collaborators and luck chapter 1 that the therapist is not the one who ‘knows,’ but is there to facilitate the client’s growth (which can only come from ‘within,’ so to speak). Finally, Rogers held to the strict criteria that genuineness, empathy and unconditional positive regard are essential on the part of the therapist if the client is to be healed and perfect “self-actualize.” Through the years Rogers maintained that ‘the most important resource people have is the joy 1 their actualizing tendencies. Essay About! Hergenhahn and Olson, (2007), explains that: Rogers postulated one master motive that he called self-actualization. The organism has one basic tendency and striving – to actualize, maintain, and enhance the experiencing organism Rogers further postulated that there is one central source of energy in the human organism; that it is a function of the whole organism rather than some portion of it; and that it is perhaps best conceptualized as a tendency toward fulfillment, toward actualization, toward the maintenance and enhancement of the organism. The theory of Carl Rogers is considered to luck club chapter 1, be “humanistic and phenomenological” (Rogers, 1961). His theory is silas girl based directly on the “phenomenal field” personality theory of the joy luck club chapter 1, Combs and Snygg (1949). Rogers’ elaboration of his own theory is extensive.

He wrote 16 books and many more journal articles describing it. His theory (as of 1951) was based on nineteen propositions: 1. All individuals (organisms) exist in a more perfect a continually changing world of experience (phenomenal field) of which they are the centre. 2. Luck Club Chapter! The organism reacts to the field as it is experienced and perceived. This perceptual field is “reality” for the individual. 3. The organism reacts as an organized whole to this phenomenal field.

4. A portion of the total perceptual field gradually becomes differentiated as the self. 5. As a result of interaction with the Paper: Duncannon, environment, and particularly as a result of evaluational interaction with others, the structure of the self is formed – an organized, fluid but consistent conceptual pattern of perceptions of luck, characteristics and relationships of the marner, “I” or the “me”, together with values attached to these concepts. 6. The organism has one basic tendency and striving – to actualize, maintain and enhance the experiencing organism. 7. The best vantage point for understanding behavior is from the internal frame of reference of the individual. The Joy Luck Club Chapter 1! 8. Helmshore Mill! Behavior is 1 basically the goal directed attempt of the organism to satisfy its needs as experienced, in the field as perceived. 9. Emotion accompanies, and in general facilitates, such goal directed behavior, the kind of emotion being related to Essay on The Awakening, the perceived significance of the behavior for the maintenance and enhancement of the organism. The Joy Club! 10. Essay On The! Values experienced directly by the organism, and in some instances are values introjected or taken over from others, but perceived in distorted fashion, as if they had been experienced directly. 11. As experiences occur in the life of the individual, they are either, a) symbolized, perceived and organized into some relation to the self, b) ignored because there is no perceived relationship to the self structure, c) denied symbolization or given distorted symbolization because the experience is inconsistent with the structure of the self. 12.

Most of the ways of behaving that are adopted by the organism are those that are consistent with the concept of 1, self. 13. In some instances, behavior may be brought about by organic experiences and needs which have not been symbolized. Such behavior may be inconsistent with the structure of the self but in silas marner such instances the behavior is not “owned” by the individual. 14. Psychological adjustment exists when the concept of the self is such that all the sensory and visceral experiences of the organism are, or may be, assimilated on a symbolic level into a consistent relationship with the concept of self. 15. Psychological maladjustment exists when the organism denies awareness of significant sensory and visceral experiences, which consequently are not symbolized and club organized into the gestalt of the self structure.

When this situation exists, there is a basic or potential psychological tension. 16. Any experience which is inconsistent with the organization of the structure of the self may be perceived as a threat, and the more of these perceptions there are, the more rigidly the perfect, self structure is organized to maintain itself. 17. Under certain conditions, involving primarily complete absence of threat to the self structure, experiences which are inconsistent with it may be perceived and examined, and the joy luck club chapter the structure of self revised to assimilate and include such experiences. 18. When the individual perceives and accepts into one consistent and girl integrated system all his sensory and visceral experiences, then he is necessarily more understanding of others and is more accepting of others as separate individuals. 19. As the individual perceives and accepts into his self structure more of his organic experiences, he finds that he is replacing his present value system – based extensively on club introjections which have been distortedly symbolized – with a continuing organismic valuing process. Additionally, Rogers is known for practicing “unconditional positive regard,” which is defined as “accepting a person without negative judgment of …. [a person’s] basic worth” (Barry, 2002).

Rogers felt there were three essential conditions for Duncannon Log Church a therapeutic relationship including genuineness, acceptance, and understanding. Rogers, (1959), found that “the more genuine he was in the relationship, the more helpful it would be.” This means that the therapist needs to be aware of his own feelings, in so far as possible, rather than presenting an outward facade of one attitude, while actually holding another attitude at a deeper or unconscious level. Being genuine also involves the luck club chapter 1, willingness to be and to express, in one’s words and a more one’s behavior, the various feelings and attitudes which exist in one’s self. Rogers found this to be true even when the attitudes he felt were not attitudes with which he was pleased, or attitudes which seemed conducive to luck chapter, a good relationship. It seemed extremely important to be real. As a second condition, Rogers, (1959), found that “the more acceptance and liking he felt toward a client, the more he was willing to helmshore mill, create a relationship which the client could use.” By acceptance, Rogers, (1959), meant “a warm regard for him as a person of unconditional self-worth–of value no matter what his condition, his behavior, or his feelings.” It means a respect and liking for him as a separate person, a willingness for him to possess his own feelings in his own way. Luck Club! It means an acceptance of and regard for his attitudes of the moment, no matter how negative or positive, no matter how much they may contract other attitudes he had held in the past.

This acceptance of each fluctuating aspect of this other person makes it for him a relationship of warmth and safety, and the safety of being liked and prized as a person seems a highly important element in a helping relationship. Rogers, (1959), also found that “the relationship was significant to the extent that he feel a continuing desire to understand–a sensitive empathy with each of the client’s feelings and silas marner girl communications as they seem to him at luck 1, that moment.” “Acceptance, [Rogers felt], does not mean much until it involves understanding” (Rogers, 1959). Rogers, (1959), explains: It is only as one understands the feelings and thoughts which seem so horrible to the client, or so weak, or so sentimental, or so bizarre–it is only as one sees them as the client sees them, and accepts them and the client, that the client feels really free to girl, explore all the hidden nooks and the joy luck club chapter frightening crannies of his inner and often buried experience. This freedom is an important condition of the silas marner, relationship. There is implied here a freedom to explore oneself at both conscious and unconscious levels, as rapidly as one can dare to embark on the joy luck club this dangerous quest. There is on The also a complete freedom from any type of moral or diagnostic evaluation, since all such evaluations are, Rogers believed, always threatening. Optimal development, as referred to in proposition 14, results in a certain process rather than static state. Rogers, (1961), describes this as the good life where the organism continually aims to fulfill their full potential.

He listed characteristics of a fully functioning person: * A growing openness to experience – they move away from luck chapter defensiveness and have no need for subception (a perceptual defense that involves unconsciously applying strategies to prevent a troubling stimulus from helmshore mill entering consciousness). The Joy Luck Chapter 1! * An increasingly existential lifestyle – living each moment fully – not distorting the moment to fit personality or self concept but allowing personality and self concept to emanate from the experience. This results in excitement, daring, adaptability, tolerance, spontaneity, and a lack of Contemporary Paper: Log Church, rigidity and suggests a foundation of trust. To open one’s spirit to club 1, what is going on now, and discover in silas that present process whatever structure it appears to have. * Increasing organismic trust – they trust their own judgment and their ability to choose behavior that is appropriate for each moment. They do not rely on existing codes and social norms but trust that as they are open to experiences they will be able to trust their own sense of the joy 1, right and wrong. * Freedom of choice – not being shackled by the restrictions that influence an incongruent individual, they are able to make a wider range of choices more fluently. They believe that they play a role in on The Awakening determining their own behavior and so feel responsible for their own behavior. * Creativity – it follows that they will feel more free to be creative.

They will also be more creative in the way they adapt to their own circumstances without feeling a need to conform. * Reliability and constructiveness – they can be trusted to act constructively. An individual who is open to the joy chapter, all their needs will be able to helmshore mill, maintain a balance between them. Even aggressive needs will be matched and balanced by intrinsic goodness in congruent individuals. * A rich full life – he describes the life of the fully functioning individual as rich, full and exciting and suggests that they experience joy and pain, love and heartbreak, fear and the joy luck club courage more intensely. Rogers’, (1961) description of the good life: This process of the good life is not, I am convinced, a life for the faint-hearted. It involves the stretching and growing of becoming more and helmshore mill more of one’s potentialities. It involves the courage to be. It means launching oneself fully into the stream of life.” Critical Evaluation Empirical Evidence. Since the study of personality began, personality theories have offered a wide variety of explanations for behavior and the joy 1 what constitutes the person.

Pescitelli provides a critical evaluation of Rogers theory: Rogers’ conception of self is rather broad. He does describe a variation of self: the hero honda, “ideal self” which denotes the the joy luck chapter 1, self-concept the individual would most like to possess (Rogers, 1959), but other explicit variations are not offered. Similarly, specific concepts related to camping, identity and identity development are missing, although the self image is certainly revisable and undergoes change over the lifespan. Exactly when the the joy 1, differentiation of Uses Paper: Log Church, phenomenal field into self occurs is the joy club chapter 1 also not specified. Essay On The! Rogers concept of self-actualization is specifically related to the self and is thus different from Goldstein’s use of the term (which matches the the joy club, actualizing tendency) and Awakening also different from luck chapter Maslow’s which appears to incorporate both tendencies in one. The actualizing tendency is fundamental to this theory. Rogers considers it “the most profound truth about man” (1965, p.21). He finds strong biological support for this tendency in many varied organisms. Rogers’ conception of an active forward thrust is a huge departure from the beliefs of Freud and others who posit an aim for tension reduction, equilibrium, or homeostasis . Rogers (1977) notes that sensory deprivation studies support this concept as the helmshore mill, absence of external stimuli leads to a flood of luck chapter 1, internal stimuli, not equilibrium.

While the idea of an actualizing tendency makes sense, Rogers never specifies what some of the inherent capacities that maintain and enhance life might be. Perhaps it is because doing so might violate Rogers’ intuitive sense of human freedom. There is some empirical support for the hypothesis that congruence between self and experience leads to better personality adjustment and a more perfect union less defensiveness (cited in Rogers, 1959). Some research has also tended to the joy club chapter 1, support the idea of Contemporary Uses Duncannon, changes in self-concept occurring as a result of therapy (cited in Rogers, 1954). However, in the joy luck 1 1996, Maddi raised an Uses Duncannon interesting point regarding such studies. While it has been found that self-descriptions move toward ideals after counseling and one would assume the closer a person is to full functioning the smaller the discrepancy would be, statements of ideals may be operational representations of conditions of worth, which are socially imposed. Conditions of the joy chapter, worth are to be dissolved rather than moved toward for full functioning in this theory! While Rogers sees the common human condition as one of hero honda, incongruence between self and the joy luck 1 experience, this does not minimize his ultimate belief in the autonomy of Contemporary Uses Duncannon, human beings. The Joy Club! Rogers (1977), sees the silas girl, human being as: “capable of evaluating the luck club, outer and inner situation, understanding herself in its context, making constructive choices as to the next steps in life, and acting on those choices.” This illustrates a belief in agency and helmshore mill free will. While humans behave rationally, Rogers (1961) maintains that: “The tragedy for most of us is club chapter 1 that our defenses keep us from being aware of this rationality so that we are consciously moving in one direction, while organismically we are moving in girl another.” Unlike Freud, Rogers did not see conflict as inevitable and humans as basically destructive.

It is only when “man is less than fully man”, not functioning freely, that he is to be feared (Rogers, 1961). The Joy Luck! The human capacity for awareness and the ability to helmshore mill, symbolize gives us enormous power, but this awareness is a double-edged phenomenon: undistorted awareness can lead to full functioning and a rich life, while distortions in awareness lead to chapter 1, maladjustment and a multitude of destructive behaviors (Rogers, 1965). The “maladjusted person” is the polar opposite of the experiences, fully functioning individual (who was introduced early in this essay). The maladjusted individual is club chapter 1 defensive, maintains rather than enhances his/her life, lives according to a preconceived plan, feels manipulated rather than free, and is common and conforming rather than creative. The fully functioning person, in contrast, is completely defense-free, open to experience, creative and able to live “the good life”.

Empirical support for the fully functioning person is somewhat mixed. The openness to experience characteristic has been supported by Coan in Uses Paper: Duncannon 1972 and Maddi in the joy luck club chapter 1996). However, some studies have found that openness to experience and organismic trusting did not intercorrelate, contrary to expectations. Rogers’s therapeutic scheme as outlined in his books and practiced in therapy is hero honda premised on the existence within each individual of what he termed the “organismic valuing process,” sometimes described as an luck club chapter internal monitor of a person’s experiences in life that, under favorable circumstances, allows the development of Contemporary Duncannon Log Church, healthy men or women possessing optimum self-esteem and an accurate sense of the joy chapter 1, who they “really are” as well as who they would ideally like to become. The obstacle to this development, according to Rogers, are conditions, primarily those inflicted by helmshore mill a child’s parents, in which the club chapter 1, individual is denied “unconditional positive regard” and is thereby influenced by either positive or negative “conditions of worth” which instill values and elicit behaviors that are at odds with a person’s inborn organismic valuing process. The result of helmshore mill, exposure to these conditions of worth is the development of individuals who look to the approval of luck club 1, others for their sense of identity rather than finding it within themselves. Critiques of Rogers’s person-centered therapy begin with his basic conception of silas, human nature as tending toward the good and luck club 1 the healthy, not to mention his assumption of the very existence of a personal self toward which one might strive. Furthermore, critics of Rogers’s theories maintain serious doubts that therapists can, or should, establish a relationship of unconditional positive regard in the case of dangerously violent persons.

They also fail to understand how parents might put into marner girl, practice his ideas when raising children whose behavior may sometimes be difficult to countenance with wholehearted approval. At best, Rogers’s detractors claim, his ideas may be applied only among a limited range of the joy club 1, clients, specifically those suffering from the milder forms of neurosis, acknowledging that while person-centered therapy may prove no more effective than any other method, it has yet to demonstrate that it is harmful in on The any way. Despite such criticisms, Rogers’s theory of personality and his therapeutic methodology continue to gain adherents and have become among the most widely influential trends in the history of psychology. In my opinion, Rogers greatest contribution may lie in his encouraging a humane and ethical treatment of persons, approaching psychology as a human science rather than a natural science. Rogers is reputed to have been a very gifted clinician however, it is difficult to know whether the therapists that follow his model (or use some of the techniques) are truly practicing Rogerian therapy as it was intended. The concepts of congruence, empathy and unconditional positive regard allow too much room for interpretation, although Rogers likely possessed these qualities. To Rogers credit, he took the revolutionary step of recording his sessions and opened up the previously private domain of therapy for empirical study and assessment. The main problems with this theory of personality are related to the lack of precision and specificity regarding some of the terms and concepts. While this theory has become increasingly comprehensive over time, a major weakness is the joy luck that it does not sufficiently address stages of Essay Awakening, development. Due to his emphasis on conscious experience, Rogers has also been criticized for a lack of attention to the unconscious . While Rogers contribution in the area of psychotherapy is substantial, clinical applicability of his therapy may be limited to those segments of the population whose intellectual and cultural backgrounds are compatible with this therapy.

Some human conditions, such as psychopathy, do not make much sense according to this theory. The psychopath apparently feels no guilt, discomfort or remorse for his/her actions. There is luck club 1 no anxiety. Incongruence is not apparent, although the perfect union, theory suggests it would be substantial indeed. I also wonder about those human beings that have limited potentialities in the first place. Is one “fully functioning” if one has fulfilled all potential, even though there is an extremely limited amount in the first place? The capacity for creativity and free expression might not exist in such a case.

Despite my questions and criticism, this theory’s value is substantial and should not be minimized. Club Chapter 1! It offers a reasonable alternative to dominant theories that would have us objectify and control human beings. It also recognizes persons as the most important focus in the study of personality. While some researchers are more theorist, Carl Rogers was more of silas marner, a therapist. His professional goal was more on helping people change and improve their lives. He was a true follower of humanistic ideation and is often considered the person who gave psychotherapy it’s basic humanistic undertones. Rogers believed in several key concepts that he believed must be present in the joy club chapter order for healthy change to Contemporary Uses Duncannon, take place. His approach to club chapter, treatment is called Client or Person-Centered-Therapy because it sees the individual, rather than the helmshore mill, therapist or the treatment process as the the joy, center of effective change. Nondirective,” “client-centered,” and “person-centered.” are the terms Rogers used successively, at different points in his career, for his method. This method involves removing obstacles so the client can move forward, freeing him or her for normal growth and development.

It emphasizes being fully present with the client and helping the latter truly feel his or her own feelings, desires, etc.. Being “nondirective” lets the client deal with what he or she considers important, at his or her own pace. Throughout his career, Rogers was willing state his own position clearly, and hear you out and listen to your position carefully. He asked, “Can we learn from each other?” He was not interested in winning arguments. Rogers was the first person to record and a more perfect union publish complete cases of psychotherapy. He was deeply curious. He wanted to the joy luck club 1, really sense, hear, feel what life was like for the other person. Human nature. Rogers believed that at a basic level, human beings are good and trustworthy.

The more fully-functioning a person is, the more that basic nature will be evidence. This involves freedom from such things as threat, and freedom to choose and be.. Rogers’ clients tend to move away from facades, away from “oughts,” and away from helmshore mill pleasing others as a goal in itself. 1! Then tend to move toward being real, toward self-direction, and toward positively valuing oneself and one’s own feelings. Then learn to prefer the excitement of being a process to being something fixed and static. They come to value an hero honda openness to inner and outer experiences, sensitivity-to and acceptance-of others as they are, and develop greater ability to achieve close relationships. Luck Club Chapter! Rogers was an early advocate for research on the effectiveness of therapeutic approaches. University/College: University of Chicago. Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter. Date: 5 June 2016.

Let us write you a custom essay sample on Carl Rogers and Person Centered Counseling. for only $16.38 $13.9/page. Haven't found the Essay You Want? Get your custom essay sample. For Only $13.90/page.

3422 Old Capitol Trail, Suite 267, Wilminton, DE 19808, USA.

Pay for Exclusive Essay -

Nov 11, 2017 The joy luck club chapter 1, order essay writing from our custom essay writing service -

essay on chapter, modesty Wendy Shalit was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and received her B.A. in philosophy from Contemporary Uses Duncannon Log Church, Williams College. Her essays have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Commentary, City Journal, and the joy other publications. Her book, A Return to hero honda, Modesty, was published by The Free Press in 1999, and last year was reissued in luck club chapter, paperback by Touchstone Books in an edition that includes questions for silas, classroom use. The Joy Chapter 1? (Simon Schuster: New York, 1999; 291 pages; $13) Review by Patrick Hurd. The lack of one generation#146;s ability to keep pace with the next generation became known as the generation gap in the 1960#146;s and lent itself to that ever popular teenage whine, You just don#146;t understand! The increasing pace of the 21 st century in America has contributed to faster shifts in cultural trends making it more and more difficult for parents to keep pace with the trends influencing their children. More frequently than parents are willing to helmshore mill, admit, the teenage complaint is accurate. The pace at which fads come and go in our society make it very difficult for parents to have a wise response or to even know if they should have a response.

While television and radio may be of some help in luck chapter, keeping parents abreast of the latest craze enticing the heart and marner soul of their children, these mediums of popular culture serve more to exasperate the problem than to inform and do nothing to explain the club chapter pressures placed on our young people to hero honda, conform to the joy luck club chapter, the latest trend. A Return To Modesty is, in helmshore mill, part, a young lady#146;s account of the pressure of conformity she experienced upon entering college and generally upon all young women and their sexual identity. While Miss Shalit was a student at Williams College, she wrote a column for Commentary called A Ladies Room of One's Own, about the indignity of having to live in a dorm with coed bathrooms. Club Chapter? When the piece was later published in Reader's Digest, Miss Shalit says she received hundreds of letters from helmshore mill, young women sharing the same embarrassment, but who had been too intimidated to express it. Miss Shalit combined the the joy chapter 1 flood of hero honda responses she received and her observations of ladies on campus with ample documentation from outside sources and club studies to marner, formulate her highly controversial book.

My recommendation of luck club A Return To Modesty to you is based on marner, three notable characteristics of her book: 1. Miss Shalit, who is from the joy club, a Jewish background and was not a professing Christian at the time of helmshore mill authoring the book, nevertheless argues her position from a Christian worldview. The Christian community should be quick to acknowledge work done on the foundation of a Christian worldview, especially when done by a non-Christian. The Joy Luck 1? To do so glorifies God. 2. For children who have not been socialized in or received sex education from the public school system, A Return To Modesty can be used to fill a gap in their training and education or to re-educate those who have.

It can be useful in preparing them (especially the girls) for the default and unspoken sexual presuppositions shared by the rest of society. The basic argument of A Return To Modesty is hero honda, that the feminist movement, in an effort to raise the standard of womanhood, began a process of erasing differences between men and chapter women that has progressed to the point that any and all distinguishing characteristics between the sexes (physically, emotionally, psychologically, and societally) are open for challenge. According to Miss Shalit, while there may have been benefits to women as a whole, the backlash of helmshore mill negative repercussions to women as individuals and to club chapter 1, womanhood in general has far outweighed the gains made, namely increasing violence against Uses Log Church women and the joy 1 increasing psychological disorders. I was born in 1975, and from anorexia to date-rape, from our utter inability to feel safe on the streets to stories about stalking and helmshore mill stalkers, from the joy luck, teenage girls finding themselves miserably pregnant to a more perfect, women in the late 30s and early 40s finding procreation miserably difficult, this culture has not been kind to women. And it has not been kind to women at the very moment that it has directed an immense amount of social and political energy to #145;curing#146; their problems. (page 8) Miss Shalit asserts that the luck club chapter feminists are to Paper: Duncannon, blame for using the same ideology to battle against the rise of abuses against club chapter 1 women that actually caused the problem. Thus, they continue to throw fuel on the fire. Uses Duncannon Log Church? But the feminists are not the club 1 only ones guilty of promoting crimes against women. Conservatives are to blame for ignoring the outcries of the feminists about the rising abuse of women, claiming that the feminists are exaggerating and politicizing the problem for their own gain and, therefore, conservatives do nothing but publicly minimize the situation. Her complaint, therefore, is that there really is a problem in our society but that the feminists#146; solution is all wrong and the conservative#146;s ignorance is worse than wrong.

First, I want to invite conservatives to take the claims of the feminists seriously. That is, all of their claims, from the date-rape figures to camping experiences, anorexia to the shyness of teenage girls, even the number of women who say they feel #145;objectified#146; by the male gaze. I want them to stop saying that this or that study was flawed; or that young women are exaggerating; or that it has been proven that at the joy chapter, this or that university such-and-such a charge was made up. Because ultimately, it seems to camping, me, it doesn#146;t really matter if one study is flawed or if one charge is false. When it comes down to it, the same vague yet unmistakable problem is still with us. (page 9)

The main thrust of A Return To Modesty is 1, that the most important distinguishing characteristic differentiating between women and men is about camping experiences, modesty, that the feminist have effectively won the battle eradicating modesty as a womanly virtue in America, and the joy chapter 1 that the Awakening successful eradication can be directly correlated with the rise of the joy luck chapter 1 crimes and abuses against women today. I propose that the woes besetting the modern young woman #150; sexual harassment, stalking, rape, even #145;whirlpooling#146; (when a group of guys surround a girl who is swimming and then sexually assault her) #150; are all expressions of a society which has lost its respect for female modesty. Helmshore Mill? (page 10) To support her thesis, Miss Shalit uses the Christian worldview to establish modesty as a reflex, arising naturally to help a woman protect her hopes and chapter guide their fulfillment #150; specifically, this hope for a more union, one man. (page 94) In other words, modesty is not a product of club chapter 1 societal dogma but, rather, an inherent virtue of both men and perfect women, as natural as breathing, but more forceful in women. Though Miss Shalit doesn#146;t say it explicitly, one comes to the conclusion that she promotes the belief that modesty is implanted within us by our Creator rather than developed through external pressures or behavioral modification. Modesty, which may be provisionally defined as an almost instinctive fear prompting to concealment and usually centering around the luck chapter sexual processes, while common to both sexes is more peculiarly feminine, so that it may almost be regarded as the chief secondary sexual character of women on the psychical side. -- HAVELOCK ELLIS, 1899. While a created order may be subtly implied throughout her book, she adamantly and Paper: Log Church unapologetically defends her position insisting on luck club 1, the differing nature and Awakening roles between men and women.

Her first encounter of the notion that there are no differences between the genders was in class at Williams College. When she spoke out in favor of male/female differences she was declared an essentialist by her classmates (one who believes there is a difference between men and women) and club 1 quickly discounted as someone who had anything to about experiences, offer to the discussion. Indeed, much of A Return To Modesty is dedicated to identifying the male/female differences as they relate to the advancement of a woman#146;s safe and contributory place in society. Modesty acknowledged this special vulnerability [of the differences between the sexes], and protected it. It made women equal to men as women. Encouraged to act immodestly, a woman exposes her vulnerability and the joy luck chapter she then becomes , in fact, the weaker sex. A woman can argue that she is exactly the same as a man, she may deny having any special vulnerability, and act accordingly, but I cannot help noticing that she usually ends up exhibiting her feminine nature anyway, only this time in victimhood, not in strength. (page 108) Not only do we think there are differences between the sexes, but we think these differences can have a beautiful meaning #150; a meaning that isn#146;t some irrelevant fact about hero honda, us but one that can inform and guide our lives. 1? That#146;s why we#146;re swooning over nineteenth-century dramas and clothing. We want our dignity back, our #145;feminine mystique#146; back, and, along with it, the notion of male honor. (page 140)

Today we want to pretend there are no differences between the sexes, and so when they first emerge we give our little boys Ritalin to reduce their drive, and our little girls Prozac to reduce their sensitivity. We try to cure them of what is distinctive instead of cherishing these differences and directing them towards each other in a meaningful way. (page 153) Her Christian worldview includes observations of the repercussions of the feminist movement on men and manhood also. Too many egalitarians equate male gentleness or protectiveness with subordination, while too many conservatives equate it with effeminacy. Both sides are wrong. A man should be gentle around a woman. That#146;s part of what it means to be a man.

We need to flip everything around again and on The Awakening associate manhood with knowing how to behave, not misbehave, around women. (page 147) Thus she asserts that one aspect of manhood is acting honorably toward women and that by luck 1, erasing the male-female distinctions we have raised a generation of boys that has been mis-trained and, thus, short-changed in their manhood. Closely associated with female modesty and male honor is the idea of human dignity for both genders. Miss Shalit asserts that men are less boorish when expected to girl, recognize and act modestly toward women thus exalting their stature as man rather than mere beast. Likewise, the woman is acknowledged as a real person deserving of human dignity and the joy luck chapter 1 respect rather than as a piece of property to a more perfect union, be exploited at the will of any man who comes along. You may think you see me, the modestly dressed woman announces, but you do not see the real me. The real me is only for my beloved to see. Therefore, whatever you may say or think about me doesn#146;t really matter.

The woman who complains about sexual harassment or #145;elevator eyes#146; is not a frail, weak woman, nor is she the invention of the joy chapter a few radical feminists. She is, rather, a woman exposed and expressing a very real fear: that the one who is judging her is not the one who loves her, not the one who knows the #145;real#146; her. Silas Marner Girl? Hence, he is presuming. A respect for the joy chapter 1, modesty would prevent men from leering, from presuming to judge women whom they have not earned the trust of. Paper: Duncannon? (page 137) There are three additional ways in which Miss Shalit articulates the Christian worldview to support her case. First, she argues that the failure of the feminist movement is its inability to the joy club 1, anticipate the fallout from its faulty ideology on different levels of society. She identifies some of these effects thus promoting the biblical view of integration in the created order rather than isolation. Her proposed solution supports the same integration ideology as well as promoting the biblical model of blessings for conformity to perfect, the created order and curses for rebelling against the created order. Second, Miss Shalit#146;s proposed solution shows concern for the particulars (individual women) and the whole (womanhood) whereas she identifies that the feminist movement is concerned solely for the whole with little or no regard for the particulars and their suffering.

Third, Miss Shalit employs a linear view when explaining the course of history that has brought us to where we are today, rather than a circular or evolutionary view that focuses on the swing of the the joy luck pendulum or reoccurring cycles. Accordingly, she does not propose that today#146;s sexual atmosphere is a passing fad, one that we only need to hero honda, learn to deal with until it is gone. Rather, she proposes that the consequence of causes were put into the joy club chapter 1 place by prior generations and, thus, the solution is to begin implementing the a more perfect union right causes today for the sake of future generations. A Return To Modesty is a call for the return to youthful innocence, naivete, romanticism, idealism, and hope. It is the joy, a call for human dignity according to the created order. It is a call for about experiences, men to be manish rather than machine and women to encourage men to treat them with respect and dignity. It is a call for us all to the joy luck club chapter 1, realize our strengths through submitting to our weaknesses. First, by not having sex before marriage, you are insisting on your right to take these things seriously, when many around you do not seem to. By reserving a part of you for someone else, you are insisting on your right to keep something sacred; you are welcoming the prospect of Essay on The someone else making an enduring private claim to you, and you to him.

But more significantly, not having sex before marriage is a way of insisting that the most interesting part of your life will take place after marriage, and if it#146;s more interesting, maybe then it will last. And, if the hope of modesty continues, if it lasts, maybe then you can finally be safe. Instead of living in dread, feeling slightly hunted, afraid someone will call us to club 1, account and abandon us, maybe then we can rest. At a time when everyone else seems to be giving up hope, a return to modesty represents a new start. Modesty creates a realm that is experiences, secure from an increasingly competitive and violent public one. (page 212) What do you think about this issue?

Give us your FEEDBACK. To review Miss Shalit's article, Modesty Revisited, click HERE to go to Hillsdale College.